Achieving scale, accessing infrastructure, the investment landscape and consumer perception of novel food technologies will be discussed at the inaugural CellAg Summit, hosted in Sydney on 15 June, 2023.
Hosted by Future Alternative, together with Cellular Agriculture Australia, the CellAg Summit will see the best minds in precision fermentation and cell cultivation joined by leading researchers, academics, investors and business founders.
Held at Fishburners in Sydney’s CBD, this one-day conference will discuss the key opportunities and challenges in this burgeoning sector, with a focus on enabling the process of moving from R&D to commercialisation.
The program comprises a series of Q&A and panel discussions, with highlights including:
- CAN WE REALLY GO MAINSTREAM? – A debate between self-confessed ‘frenemies’, George Peppu (Vow) and Dr Paul Wood (Monash University), and moderated by the CSIRO’s Michelle Colgrave, analysing whether or not cellular agriculture technologies can be scaled to the point where they genuinely make an impact on food security.
- IS SCIENCE HOLDING US BACK? – A panel discussion looking at what “the science” isn’t letting the industry do, and how research partnerships should be structured to overcome these gaps. Speakers include Andrew Laslett (Magic Valley), Anna El Tahchy (Nourish Ingredients), Ian Paulsen (Macquarie University) and Sonja Kukuljan (Noumi).
- INVESTOR INSIGHTS – Insights into the current investment landscape and what companies need to consider when looking to start out and raise capital. Panellists include Sarah Nolet (Tenacious Ventures), Simon Newstead (Better Bite Ventures), Gabrielle Munzer (Main Sequence) and Anna Tao (CSIRO).
- CHALLENGES IN SCALING : AN ENGINEERING PERSPECTIVE – Leading experts in chemical engineering and synthetic biology explore some of the technical challenges facing the industry as it moves towards large scale production. Speakers include John Kavanagh (USYD), Victoria Haritos (Monash Uni), Tony Goh (Sartorius) and Alvin Ng (Esco Aster).
“It’s great to see a dedicated, industry-led, and outcomes-oriented conference for the cellular agriculture sector finally arriving in Australia,” said Sam Perkins, CEO of Cellular Agriculture Australia. “I’m excited to see the CellAg Summit lean in to robust and rich conversations linked to the critical challenges facing the industry as it grows.
“If you are engaged with cellular agriculture in Australia, this one is not to be missed.”
Other speakers include:
- Paul Bevan, Founder, Magic Valley
- Jim Fader, Co-founder, Eden Brew
- Damian Frank, Head of Flavour and Product Design, All G Foods
- Michele Stansfield, Co-founder, Cauldron Ferm
- David Bucca, Founder, Change Foods
- Megan Stanton, Associate Director South APAC, Food and Drink and Purchase Intelligence Insights, Mintel
The CellAg Summit will take place at Fishburners in Sydney’s CBD on Thursday, 15 June 2023.
This event is sponsored by the NSW Government, All G Foods, Vow (Gold Sponsors), Sartorius (Silver), Eden Brew and Merck (Bronze).